Sunday, June 9, 2013

Lets talk about Hair


Hair is such an interesting and necessary part of women.  I have been a blonde all of my life and really liked being one (even when all of those dumb blonde jokes were popular).  I never really thought about how it might feel to not have any!  When you are diagnosed with breast cancer you tend to take one step at a time. I don't believe that I really even thought or worried about losing my hair until we were preparing for the treatments.  I did order some hats and a couple of scarfs and looked at a few wigs.

I had my hair cut shorter and my hairdresser, Mindy, mentioned that she would shave my head for me when it was time.  I didn't know what or when time would be but at least I knew that Mindy would take care of me.

Dr. Ririe told us that I would definitely lose my hair and that I would probably be one to three weeks after my first treatment.  My hair really started falling out ( all over the bathroom floor and the drain in the shower) two weeks after my first treatment.  I called Mindy and scheduled a time for her to shave my head the next Thursday.  Within two days I called her back and scheduled it for Friday after she closed her shop.  It was 17 days after my first treatment that my head was shaved. When Mindy was finished shaving my head I opened my eyes and looked at Rick.  He looked back at me and I just started crying which made him cry too.

I ordered a wig which arrived just in time to have Mindy trim it a little so that I could wear it to church.  I figured that I would probably wear hats or scarfs anywhere else that I would go.


I have received tons of compliments on my wig and some people think that I had my hair cut this way.  The only problem with a wig is that I can only stand to wear it for a couple of hours.  After that my head and ears are all ready for some relief!  Rick remembers his Mom tearing her wig off as soon as they drove into the garage.  Last week after church I wanted to take my wig off as soon as I left the building but I made myself wait until I pulled into our driveway.

Here is how I look in my church outfit without the wig.


I don't know if I will ever get used to seeing myself in the mirror without hair!  I have gotten used to not covering my head when I am at home so people that drop by for a visit are always going to see me without any hair. I wonder if they will get used to it?

1 comment:

  1. You look beautiful - with and without the hair on top!

    ReplyDelete