Thursday, May 30, 2013

My First Treatment ( one of eight)

My first treatment was at our beautiful new cancer center at the Portneuf Medical Center.  First I went in to have my blood drawn and then I reported to Dr. Ririe and Nurse Robin.  We were impressed with all of the items that have been donated by the American Cancer Society ( now 100 years old). And other local groups.  Items include hats, warming bags, new wigs, etc.   And of course they have all kinds of events scheduled for the patients such as therapy groups and scarf tying lunch meetings. 
The infusion area for the cancer center has space for 12 patients that can be treated at one time.  I really felt the spirit when I first stepped into that area.  I could feel the love and care that the nurses provide to all of us patients.  Sara Lee is one of the main nurses that works in this area and she does an amazing job!  We were able to catch a picture of her as she dashed around!

During the day some volunteers brought two therapy dogs for us to pet.  They were both beautiful,sweet dogs.

Rick got quite cozy in the two guest chairs.  He would really like his own lounge chair!

We left the cancer center around 2:30 pm after arriving there at 9:30 am.  Unfortunately, as soon as we got home the nightmare started.  Nausea and migraines started immediately and were still not under control until after bedtime.  It was a really scary first night but somehow we made it through!  The week proceeded pretty much the same with lots of nausea and migraines.  I am supposed to drink 64 ounces of fluid per day just to stay hydrated but was not able to take in nearly that much because even water is impossible to get down when you are nauseous.  

The climax hit on Tuesday morning, the eighth day after treatment.  I got up in the morning feeling very nauseous and couldn't do anything but sit in the chair in our bedroom.  Rick was talking to me and realized that I wasn't responding.  I had passed out and me eyes were fully dilated.  He called 911 and got the ambulance here in just a matter of minutes.  They took me to the emergency room and gave me two bags of fluid which was just what I needed.  My white blood cell count was at 300 (mine is normally 8500).  I was able to get additional fluid two more times that week and returned to a normal blood count by the following Tuesday for my next treatment.  Rick was so worried about me that he called our daughter and asked her to come up and stay with me through the weekend.  

No comments:

Post a Comment