Wednesday, October 2, 2013

The Last Leg - Radiation

I started the third leg of my cancer triathlon on September 16th.  The treatment is 30 sessions or 6 weeks of treatments that are scheduled for Mondays through Fridays.  I am in the middle of my third week and doing well.  Almost everyone gets quite tired during the round of radiation treatments and needs a few weeks to fully recuperate after they are completed.  My doctor told me that I would be quite the anomaly if I don't get worn out by the treatments.  Rick and I plan to do a lot of my recuperation in Mexico where the weather will be warm and comfortable!

Radiation started with a ct scan so that the doctors could identify where the radiation paths needed to be.  A physicist actually puts the plan together based on the surgery or cancer locations and the location of your vital organs.  This is a pic of the Electa Infinity machine or the radiation room and equipment which cost 3.5 million!  The Infinity does the radiation treatments and takes X-rays as well. The techs take X-rays of my treatment areas each week for the doctors to analyze.



This is a pic of the form that is used for me to lie down on each treatment.  It helps to insure that my body is in the same position for each treatment.  It is not very comfortable even though it was a custom fit!

Skin irritations or burns are another side effect of radiation.  I use aloe vera gel a couple of times a day and so far no irritations.

No comments:

Post a Comment